In this step for reasons of redundancy we will add another Domain Controller to the ActDir.lol domain. Essentially this is done in case the primary Domain Controller goes down, the next available Domain Controller will take over. The standby Domain Controller mirrors the data in the primary Domain Controller.
1) Install the role/feature to the server that will be added as a Domain Controller in the domain.
2) Select the Appropriate Server from the server List
3) Select Directory Serives and make sure DNS services is part of your installation as well.
4) Review your setup and press Finish.
5) Once the install is finished you will need to promote the server to a Domain Controller
6) Configure your NIC to have a static IP address and to also make to point the DNS to the server of the Primarey Domain Controller. In order to see/join a domain your DNS entry must point to the Domain Controller.
7) Select “Add a domain controller to an existing domain”.
8) Enter the Domain you want to join and press Select. Then choose the domain to join.
9) Enter the appropriate account to login to that domain
10) Here you will choose if you want this Domain Controller to be a DNS server and also a Global Catalog. It is highly recommended to add both roles on Domain Controllers. As far as the “Read Only…” option, it depends on your preference. In our setup because we only have two Domain Controllers for the sake of redundancy we do not choose this option. Do not concern your self with DNS delegation after this Windows dialogue.
11) On this step we will choose where this Domain Controller will get replicated data from. We want it to replicate data obviously from our Primary Domain Controller.
12) Specify the location of where the Database/Log/Sysvol will be stored. The default option for our case is a safe one.
13) View your setup and press Finish.
You can execute all of the above by typing the following commands in powershell
# Windows PowerShell script for AD DS Deployment
-Credential (Get-Credential) `
-DatabasePath “C:\Windows\NTDS” `
-DomainName “ActDir.lol” `
-LogPath “C:\Windows\NTDS” `
-ReplicationSourceDC “ActiveDir.ActDir.lol” `
-SiteName “Default-First-Site-Name” `
-SysvolPath “C:\Windows\SYSVOL” `